Important documents that you need to sell your home

Important documents that you need to sell your home


Finding an estate agent, establishing the sale price, setting up viewings, etc., are just a few of the many tasks involved in selling a home. There is also the documentation. Here is the whole list of paperwork given by experts, including estate agents in Manchester in order to be “sale ready” and to prevent delays in the future.

The following list of 11 documents will help you sell your home:

Identity verification

a simple one to begin with! Law requires mortgage lenders, real estate brokers, and attorneys to verify your identification in order to prevent money laundering. You must give them evidence of your identification, such as a passport or driver’s licence, and of your address, such as a driver’s licence, a bank statement, or a utility bill (not more than 3 months old).

Title records from the Land Registry

Title deeds serve as documentation that you are the property’s legitimate owner. When you bought your house, your attorney ought to have delivered them to you. If you are unable to locate them, check with your mortgage provider to see if they have your original deeds or if your solicitor has them.

Certificate for Energy Performance (EPC)

You might already have an EPC if you purchased your property within the last ten years. On the government’s online database of every EPC in the UK, you can find out if you have one. You can look up a property’s energy performance certificate using the register’s EPC retrieval page by postcode. You are required by law to obtain an EPC before marketing a home that doesn’t already have one. Currently, you can schedule an EPC with qualified local energy analysts. Properties with better energy ratings will have a higher value, and you can get it assesses using property valuation in Manchester services.

Leasehold records

Obtain your lease if your property is leasehold. The duration of the property should be highlighted by the estate agent in the marketing materials, including the number of years left on the lease, the current ground rent and service fees, as well as any anticipated increases. Shorter leases of fewer than 80 years are frequently not covered by mortgages. Your house sale can be hampered if yours is this low.

Warranty for new construction

You should have a copy of your Buildmark (NHBC) or other new home policy/warranty documentation for newly constructed homes (or homes that are less than ten years old). Our guide to new house warranties has further information.

Building permit and planning permission certificates

If you have made alterations to the property, you must provide proof that the necessary permissions and approvals were obtained. You must, for instance, present copies of your building permit approvals, completion certificates, and planning clearances. In addition, as a seller, you must disclose any building or alteration work that has not received the required consents and approvals, as well as any incomplete building or alteration work. If you are wondering “how much is my property worth?” after the renovations you can get it done by availing of property valuation services.

An engineer who is registered with Gas Safe performed gas checks.

Your boiler has been inspected and is safe according to a gas safety certificate provided by a Gas Safe licenced engineer (formerly CORGI). When you sell your house, you are not required by law to get a gas safety certificate. However, if your boiler is gas, a gas safety certificate—which you should have gotten when your boiler was last serviced—is advised for your own protection.

Windows certifications from FENSA or CERTASS

You must present a FENSA or CERTASS certificate if you have replaced windows since relocating into the house you are selling. This demonstrates that the windows adhere to construction codes. Typically, these certificates are good for ten years. On the FENSA and CERTASS websites, you can conduct a certificate search. You could have to pay for indemnity insurance for the next owner if your installation wasn’t done by an authorised worker or if you can’t find the certificate.

Other warranties and assurances

You don’t need to pretend that your home is flawless because none of them is. If there is a problem and you have addressed it, that proves you are a responsible homeowner. Therefore, locate copies of receipts or warranties for work performed, whether it is wet or Japanese knotweed. The same holds true for any warranties you may have on any fixtures and fittings or electrical equipment that you intend to leave behind. Any furniture, fixtures, or appliances that you do not choose to take with you may be sold or made available to the buyer for a price. Your sale will move more quickly if you think about these items sooner rather than later.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *